Saturday, April 30, 2016

Watercolor Susanna Blossom

Are you smitten with all the watercolor creations you see on line lately? I know I am! I'm embarrassed to say how much paper I've gone through experimenting and trying to get the look just right. Something so soft and loose just seems like it should be easier. The more I practice the easier it's getting. I really love working with Peerless Watercolors - you can find them at Birch Press Design where more and more craft supplies are showing up including new dies and stamps.

What I love about Peerless watercolor is how easy the colors blend together like the green and yellow areas on the photo above. Paper is so important too - my favorite is Canson #140 cold press. Ah yes.. and the perfect paint brush.. the holy grail of water color - for me it's the No. 8 brush. No matter who you ask you will get a different answer to all these questions - it's important to find what works best for you and to experiment with different products - don't give up!
Once you master the background you can layer on lots of pretty detail dies like this one from Poppystamps - the Susanna Blossom! I cut several from watercolor paper - and adhered them to the base. You need to be careful with your adhesive! If you use a liquid, like I do, you need to be aware that any leaks will reactivate your watercolors - so use it in moderation!
A simple sentiment lets the background do all the talking! Why not sit outside and paint a batch if the weather's fine? You'll be ready for anything just by adding a few die cut images!
Have a great day and happy crafting!















9 comments:

Teresa Doyle said...

Hi Jeanne.
This is SO pretty. I saw this over on Poppystamps but was so excited about being a winner there, that I forgot to comment on it:(

Nora Noll said...

This card is amazing!! The colors are so vivid!! I have these watercolors but have yet to try them. I am scared!!

Lindsey said...

Oh, Jeanne, this is gorgeous! I'm pinning it to my watercolor board, so I can use it as inspiration as I practice...and boy, does it take a lot of practice. You have made it look effortless and oh-so-beautiful here!

Diane Jaquay said...

The gorgeous, detailed die cuts against that gorgeous background, WOW!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

This is absolutely stunning Jeanne! Those colours are so gorgeous together--love that die!

Lisa Elton said...

Wow, is this ever fabulous Jeanne! Beautifully done!!

Sharron said...

Love your absolutely beautiful background! The all white die cuts are especially lovely with those gorgeous colors!

cm said...

We don't want to talk about the reams of paper I've trashed (very happy Mr. Recycle Bin!) trying to water-colour! Grrr! Just doesn't work for me..I've tried bristol paper, watercolour paper (several varieties), Zigs, Distress Inks, Twinkling H2Os...and epic failures are my only result! This weekend along was pa-the-tic! Anyway, your card is incredibly pretty; a lovely colour combination for your oh-so-pretty blooms! In awe...
hugs~c

The Hardy Stamper said...

This is really lovely Jeanne. I love the look of watercolour but need to practise more to get better results. I've invested in a lot of watercolour supplies so I really should try to use them more often!